You slept in. You can't find your favourite shirt. Your hair just won't do what you want it to do. Your kids are lollygagging. Your keys have run away. We know we should be eating breakfast, but some days it just doesn't seem possible. We've gathered together some great reasons not to skip breakfast, as well as innovative and tasty new ways to start your day with a meal.
Our Five Favourite Reasons Not To Skip Breakfast
- Take a closer look at the word breakfast. It literally means to "break the fast". It's been hours since you last ate a meal and your body has slowed down in response. What better way to get that engine into high gear than with delicious, easy to make food.
- Some of our favourite foods are typically served only at breakfast. And quite frankly, we don't want to miss out. After all, when else can you enjoy toast, jam, berries, yogurt, cereal, eggs or waffles all in the comfort of your own kitchen.
- We like to teach our kids by example. If you're preaching the joys of breakfast and nutritious eating, it will be a lot more effective when your kids see you doing the same.
- Skipping breakfast can leave you extremely hungry by mid-morning and ill prepared to avoid those sweet and indulgent snacks. If you have the nourishment of breakfast still in your tummy, you won't feel so tempted to partake.
- We get grumpy without food. While there probably isn't scientific support for this, we find that our mood declines when we're hungry. A delicious breakfast, even one on the go, does wonders for making us smile more and find the lighter side of life.
Breakfast Ideas for the Time-Crunched
Even if you only have 5 to 10 minutes to prepare breakfast, you can still enjoy something yummy. Stocking your fridge and pantry with a few key items will make it possible to eat a good breakfast every day of the week.
- Strawberry Parfait – Layer low-fat vanilla yogurt, Smucker's Pure Strawberry Jam and granola into a large glass. Repeat layers. Grab a spoon and enjoy. Need it to go? Layer the yogurt and jam in a plastic storage bowl with a lid. Tape a zipper top bag of granola to the top along with a spoon, and then eat in on the train or at your desk.
- Cheese and Fruit Salad – Drizzle low-fat cottage cheese with your favourite flavour of Smucker's Jam. Top with a few pieces of fresh fruit and serve.
- PB&J Nachos – Arrange a few graham crackers or whole-wheat toasted pita points on a plate. Top with warmed peanut butter and your favourite flavour of Smucker's Jam. Crunchy fun for kids of all ages.
- Waffle-Wich – Top a toasted freezer waffle with a little cream cheese and your favourite flavour of Smucker's Jam. A breakfast that will bring the kids out in any one.
- Strawberry Bruschetta – Everyone loves tomato bruschetta as an appetizer. Convert this favourite to breakfast. Thinly cut a few slices of baguette, lightly toast, spread with ricotta cheese and top with Smucker's Pure Strawberry Jam.
- Cinnamon Pita Dip – Combine low-fat vanilla yogurt with Smucker's Strawberry Jam. Dunk store-bought cinnamon pita triangles in the strawberry yogurt dip.
- Brie & Strawberry Panini – Cut a Ciabatta bun in half. Spread one half with some Brie cheese, the other half with Smucker's Jam. Fold together, butter one side of the bun with butter or margarine. Place the sandwich on a hot Panini grill or in a frying pan and cook until heated through and golden brown.
Fresh New Breakfast Ideas from the Smucker's Kitchens
Just in time for back-to-school, Smucker's
has three delicious and new ideas for the time-pressed family.
- Flavoured Butters – Terrific on toasted bagels, whole wheat bread, scones and muffins. Enjoy all three of our unique flavours: Strawberry Mint, Raspberry Lemon, and Orange Ginger.
- Toasted Banana Dog – Kids will be thrilled to discover they're having hot dogs for breakfast. Except with this fun new breakfast idea, the wiener is a banana and the condiments are peanut butter and Smucker's Squeeze™ Strawberry or Raspberry Fruit Spread.
- Apricot Almond Oatmeal – Homemade oatmeal is easy to make and an excellent way to start any day. In this updated version, Smucker's Pure Apricot Jam, blueberries and almonds are combined with cottage cheese as a fruity topping to the oatmeal.