Spring is here! Time to ditch those wooly mittens and long winter coats. Let’s get outside and bask in the warmth of the sunshine. To help celebrate the arrival of Spring, Smucker's® has gathered 10 of its favourite Springtime activities that you can enjoy with your family this weekend. Enjoy!
10 Spring Activities for Family Weekends
- Play balloon volleyball. Keep a bag of balloons in your utility drawer. Blow a couple up and start an impromptu volleyball (or soccer) game. Soon the neighbourhood will join in for some fresh air fun.
- Fly a kite. Visit a local discount store and purchase a kite for each member of the family to fly. If you can plan in advance, visit your local craft supply store and pick up a kite that you can paint or colour with your own design before heading out with your flying machine.
- Grow an egg carton caterpillar. Cut an egg carton (preferably cardboard) in half. Punch a small hole in the bottom of each section then fill it half full with potting soil. Sprinkle easy-to-grow seeds in each section, top with potting soil and water. Place in a sunny window and watch them grow in mere days.
- Visit a butterfly conservatory. Even if it’s raining outside, a butterfly conservatory is guaranteed to be warm, sunny and lush. It’s a great place to learn about local and exotic species while you are surrounded with butterflies floating freely among lush, exotic blossoms and greenery.
- Go on an Eye-Spy treasure hunt. Make a list of items in your yard and around the neighbourhood. Then invite your family to head out on a walk to find the list of treasure items. Items could include a bird feather, a menu from a local diner, the Saturday newspaper or a pinecone.
- Celebrate Earth Day. Earth Day is April 22nd and a great opportunity for every member of the family to learn how to care for the earth. You could start a backyard compost, plant a garden, plant a tree or shop locally and prepare a wholesome organic meal.
- Visit a local zoo or petting farm. Spring brings adorable babies to many zoos and farms across Canada. Check your local listings for farms and zoos that have new arrivals to pet, feed or photograph. The baby lambs, piglets and chicks are sure to steal your heart.
- Host an Easter egg hunt. Do you remember the excitement of finding brightly coloured eggs hiding around your yard or in the park? Hide plastic eggs filled with treats around your yard or your neighbourhood and watch the kids have a ball! Decorate with pastel-coloured helium balloons, streamers, plastic carrots and more. Then invite everyone back to your home for a breakfast buffet including Smucker's products!
- Feed the birds. Welcome your winged friends back to Canada with a homemade bird feeder in your backyard. Take a large plastic milk or juice jug. Cut a 10 cm opening on the side opposite the handle, about 4 cm from the bottom. Place one small hole just below this opening and another one on the opposite side. Insert a piece of wooden dowelling through these holes as a perch. Fill with seeds and hang with wire from a tree branch.
- Spring clean the house for a garage sale. Spring-cleaning makes your house look great – but what are you to do with all that leftover stuff? The answer can be fun and profitable – have a garage sale. Encourage every member of the family to find items that they haven’t used in over a year and then put them up for sale. The family can decide as a group what to do with the proceeds.
What better way is there to celebrate a weekend dedicated to family than with a leisurely breakfast together? Smucker's
has three scrumptious new recipes using Wildberry No Sugar Added Fruit and Concentrated White Grape Juice Spread that kids of all ages will adore. Make a toast to Spring with Smucker's